This afternoon I made a valance for my boy’s bedroom. All three of them share one room so it’s pretty crowded. This was such a quick project. I like them when they’re like that. Here’s the before shot (and please ignore the popcorn ceilings).
I’ve tried making valances before, but have always run into the same problem: the wood I use for the backing seems WAY too heavy. This time I used panel foam that a friend had in her garage. I have no idea where she got it, but I’m sure any similar material would work.
I used styrofoam spray adhesive to glue 2 panels together to make it thicker. Then I adhered some batting to the front of the panels using the same stuff. Lots and lots of fumes -yuck!
Then, I stuck it to the back.
I wrapped the fabric around the back and pinned in place.The pin is at an angle to hold the fabric in securely.
I took down the wood valance that was up at the header of the blinds and was left with 2 nifty hooks that looked like this:
Then I made 2 loops with bias tape and secured them with a pin (pulled out a bit to show the angle).
and hung the valance to the hooks.
Fabric is Amy Butler’s Lotus. Timo said it makes him feel soft and cozy. And I’m glad to have made something for their room that will hopefully grow with them.