1/2009 Update: Timtex is back and being manufactured and distributed by C&T Publishing, the distributors of Fast2Fuse. My thoughts on all this another time!
In the wake of the demise of Timtex I’ve been doing a little stabilizer research. I purchased a several online and played around with some from JoAnn’s and I’m posting my findings here. The contestants:
1) Peltex 70. Available at JoAnn’s for under $5/ yard. It comes in 22″ width. This is a nice product, but thinner and more flexible than Timtex. When I use this in the bottom of a bag, I’ll often sew 2 layers together for the stability that I want. Peltex 71 is fusible on 1 side and Peltex 72 is fusible on 2 sides. They get thicker and pricier as you add a layer of glue.
2) Stiffy. This is not a comparable substitute for Timtex. It is very similar to Peltex 70. It is so very cheap at less than $2/yard but you’ll have to pay shipping if you can’t find it locally which brought my order to about $4/yard. It comes on a roll and is about 20″ wide. One drawback is when I ironed it, my sewing room started to smell like a barnyard. 😦
3) Fruedenberg. I’ve only seen this product at JCarolineCreative.com for $4.75/yard. It is similar to Peltex 70, but has a stiffer, more papery feel. It isn’t a good substitute for Timtex but I can see some great uses for it, like drafting my pattern pieces on it. It comes on a 57″ roll so expect the package at your door to be VERY tall.
4) Fast2Fuse. I purchased this online and it was VERY expensive – around $17/yard. When it arrived I was really disappointed. It came all folded up which suprised me because I can’t press it flat because it’s fusible. I purchased 2 thicknesses – regular and heavyweight – and quite honestly, I can barely tell the difference. It’s hugely expensive for a stabilizer and is comparable to Peltex 70.
6) HTCW’s FlexiFirm single-sided fusible available at htc-retail.com. This is great stuff! Thanks to Quenna and Marcea for telling me about it! It’s 30″ wide and is lightly glued one 1 side. It has some extra umph that Peltex doesn’t have and is affordable.
And the winner in the Timtex look and act alike contest?
Number 6: FLEXI FIRM!
This is a great stabilizer by itself, or if you need stronger support, double it up. This is my final solution for the Car Organizer and I couldn’t be happier. Well, I guess I could be happier if Timtex came back, but for now, I’m at least feeling very relieved!