Okay, I first heard about making these about 3 years ago. THREE years! Am I the last one to do everything fun? But after yet another clothes-sewing mishap (yes, it happens to me a lot), I decided that I might benefit from a duct tape dress form that was exactly like me. Well, not exactly like me – she has flamingo pink skin.
Here’s the little shirt dress I made to start. A tighter shirt rather than a baggy shirt will result in fewer wrinkles, right? So I wore one of my son’s old shirts and sewed a skirt on the bottom using one of hubby’s old t-shirts.
4 rolls of 15-yard long duct tape, about an hour getting taped up by hubby and here we have me (well, the back of me – I’m not about to show every curve and roll on my blog🙂 ). The real dress form is for display purposes – she isn’t quite the same shape as me.
Some minor plastic surgery, a couple of bags of polyfill and here we have my body double – Pinky. Pinky, who is also modest, requested a back shot. Here she is enjoying some tea at the table, although without arms and a head, it’s kinda hard for her.
If you haven’t seen how these are done, there are a several Youtube videos to get you started. (I watched this one and this one). May I suggest a couple more things that the kind ladies in the videos didn’t mention?
1) Before you do anything, go potty first, ‘cuz you may not get another chance for over an hour.
2) No matter how much you want to help tape, DON’T! The dress form may end up sorta crooked at the shoulders if, say, you are taping your tummy while your hubby is taping your shoulder. Or, you may be leaning over ever so slightly when taping yourself and your dress form ends up with a wrinkle in the tummy and require a tummy tuck to get the measurements to match up with your own.
3) If you are someone who laughs a lot, try to get those laughs out before you start. After you start, it can really mess things up to have your stomach and shoulders moving and jiggling.
4) Getting your giggles out is especially important if you have low-blood pressure. If you start to laugh and can’t stop, you might find it hard to get enough air to sustain consciousness due to the fact that the duct tape doesn’t allow you to expand your rib cage. If this happens, you may be tempted to lie down. Go ahead and gently fall back onto your bed, but be ready to require assistance getting back up.
5) And finally, using a wire hanger will enable you shape it to fit the shape of your shoulders.
If you decide to make one of yourself, have fun!