I’ve been looking for a while for the perfect solution to store my fabric. It had to have
open-front shelving so I could see my fabric. The shelves had to be short, because fabric doesn’t stack very high and any extra space would just be wasted. And finally, it had to be CUTE. I wasn’t going to spend $ on something that wasn’t cute. Then I found it (see photo). It was the right color, right height, right size and exactly the right level of cuteness. It was a splurge, but I will splurge for cuteness & perfection.
When the shelves finally came, I opened the box and the first thing I noticed was how cute they were. The second thing I noticed was how smelly they were! But not to worry – I opened the windows and aired them out for a couple of days. Then when I thought it was safe, I started getting my fabric folded into perfect little piles to fit in those perfect little cubbies. That’s when it hit me. Not only did the smell seem stronger, I was getting a headache from it. I can’t sew with a headache. 😦 A little online research told me exactly what I needed to know – the MDF used in this furniture releases formaldehyde, polluting the air in my house not for a few days but continuing to release it for several years. I think the paint is also partially to blame. The sad thing is that this furniture is marketed for use by children. *sigh* Needless to say, I called, complained and got it all returned.
It was around that time that we got a new handyman. He does it all, including building furniture from scratch (so jealous). So after going over the dimensions, paint color, and wood, he brought me the finished product: my early Christmas present.
The only adaptation I made was cutting one set of shelves into 2 shorter shelves. These shelves hold WAY more fabric than the shelves I had before. And the old shelves took up more space. So happy with these. They cost $100 more than the ones I returned – definitely worth the cost of no headaches! Wishing I knew about cabinet makers before – am now a huge fan of custom furniture.